Thursday, November 15, 2007

CLOSE-Captioning For The Thinking-Impaired...


So, every now and again I like to shake things up a bit and show my less intelligent side just to make other people feel a little more comfortable around me. Often times geniuses make the mistake of alienating themselves from the normal-minded masses by spewing vast bits of trivia, or annoying others with rants about the latest NPR episode. Well, I've found its best to throw people off with a mindless remark or two to fit in or make others more comfortable in conversation. Today was the day. As I was lunching with some friends, (among which I have two who have some special needs in the hearing world) we got to talking about closed-captioning. I felt this was the best place to make the remark that "It's a good thing they have close-captioning so they can read lips." You see, I was under the impression that closed-captioning meant that the camera would do a close-up of actor's faces so those that are hearing impaired would be able to read lips. Apparently, closed-captioning means that you have the option on your television of putting on the subtitles so you can READ what people are saying! Yea, laugh all you want, ha ha ha!!!
You see, the real reason I didn't know what it was is because the most expensive TV Greg and I have ever owned was one we bought off of someone for $40 at a garage sale.
Sorry folks, Dumb Brown is back!! (Sadly, my high school nickname)

9 comments:

Kristin said...

Seriously Kristi... that is one of my favorite moments with you and I promise, I was laughing with you - not at you. Well, maybe.

Shayne said...

Everyone says Brown is the new Blonde

daisy said...

Kristi, You need to hang around with me more...You know how all the kids in school make fun of someone who has said or done something stupid UNTIL someone says or does something stupider. That's where I come in. I can always top what you say or do in stupidity land.

tara said...

hardest I've laughed in a very long time. laughing right now, in fact:)

tara said...

awesome picture too, by they way.

Now imagine that is Dwight's mouth saying "QUESTION..."

Jennie said...

Love it! I miss you girl! When am I going to see you??!!? PS- YUCK on that mouth... it's got rows of teeth... like a shark!

Kenon said...

Some of the best moments of my life are "random Kristi comments". A few come to mind...but I don't know how much to share on your blog. "I would be the best wheelchair dancer" hehehehe :) Love you tons...

Holly O. said...

As one of the hearing impaired ladies at that lunch, it was so darn funny. Your face when you realized it wasn't close captioning. haha. Oh my gosh.

Emma said...

So funny! I've never thought of it that way. I think it is more a compliment for your amazing creativity. I say that kind of stuff all the time!